Monday, August 3, 2009

Planning

It has been quiet on this site for the past month as I piece together the logistics of next years trip Around the Edge. I also have a small dilemma, in that a yacht I have had my eye on for some time has become available. I will keep planning around sailing Just Jo, as I don't want to fall behind in my planning at this early stage. Will keep you posted on my progress.
The planning so far is basic - distance and approximate days I need to do the trip including sleep and stopover breaks. Obviously with any crew better time can be made. I have been intently studying the inner route through the Barrier Reef as this will be the most challenging if done solo. I will wait for responses to my expression of interest for crew before I offer up different legs of the voyage. I want to share the experience but at the same time strive for my own personal achievements of solo sailing.
Winds during Aug-Oct commonly prevail from the SE Trade Winds up the NSW and QLD coast. Reaches and runs would be the order of sail. As I round the top, the wind bends and follows the land, again offering excellent sailing conditions. Further west past Darwin the winds bend away from the coast as they meet the westerly systems moving east. These systems then stream down the WA coast toward Rottnest Island and Fremantle where the Fremantle Doctor kicks in. As I round the cape bound for Adelaide, the Southern Ocean yawns wide to cloak me in her roaring forties winds. From Adelaide, Hobart beckons around the wild west coast and into the Derwent for some well deserved rest at Constitution Dock. Departing Hobart, next landfall will be made at Jervis Bay where I will look at visiting HMAS Creswell for an overnight stay. Back up to Sydney for some drinks in the Sydney Hobart Bar at the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (CYCA). The final sail to Port Stephens will be the hardest.....knowing the journey is almost over and work is just over the horizon. Should be a brilliant 3 months!!!
Fantastic preparation for the 2011 Sydney to Hobart where I celebrate my 50th birthday!

No comments: